faq_120Grants Management:

  • What is the rate Hektoen uses to calculate indirect costs?38% of salaries and wages for federal funders; 10-20% of total costs for local and state agency funders; 25% of total costs for pharmaceutical research; and 12% of total costs for pharmaceutical funded patient education. Check the Important Rates page for more details.
  • What is the current fringe benefit rate for staff employed by Hektoen?38% of the salary requested which includes Social Security, Medicare, Workmen’s Compensation and Unemployment insurance plus health and dental insurance, long/short term disability insurance, retirement plan and life insurance. Check the Important Rates page for more details.
  • What is the deadline for submitting a funding application? There is a funding agency deadline published in all funding application guidelines. It must be adhered to or an application will be deemed unresponsive and will not be reviewed. However, Hektoen must receive a final draft of all required application documents 3 business days before the due date to allow for sufficient review and editing.
  • How long does it take to submit an application?The answer depends on the type of funding and from which agency funding is requested. For applications submitted to the NIH, AHRQ and CDC, the research team should plan to spend approximately 3-4 months preparing the research plan narrative, budget and other required documentation. For local funding agencies, such as the CDPH and IDPH, 1-2 months preparation time should be allowed. Additionally, the amount of time is often dependent on the funding agency. It is not uncommon for a funder to release an RFP and require a one month turnaround for the submission of an application.


  • Why did I receive a 1099?If you receive cash stipends and earn $600 or more (from Hektoen), you should receive a Form 1099-MISC reporting your income. Even if you don’t receive a Form 1099, your income is still reportable.Cash/Check advances will no longer be given out for peer stipends (cash).  Due to the IRS requirements(1099) for reporting income, there is no way to track how much cash has been handed out to individuals unless it is properly processed as a check with the individuals social security number.

    It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a Form 1099-MISC or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude from gross income.

    People receiving cash stipends must report all income as taxable, even if it is less than $600. Even if Hektoen does not issue a Form 1099-MISC, the income, whatever the amount, is still reportable by the taxpayer.

Human Resources:

  • What is HR fax number?312-768-6010
  • Where are you located? 2240 W. Ogden Ave, 2nd Floor, Chicago, IL 60612
  • When is Open Enrollment for Health and Dental?Open Enrollment is usually in August of each year. HR will send a notice to the employee.
  • Who do I call to get a copy of the Service Use Tax in Illinois letter?Call Dennis Ronowski at 312-768-6008
  • Who do I send my change of address to? HR-Fax or e-mail information to Alvaro Espino, HR Manager at 312-768-6025 or alvaro.espino@hektoen.org
  • Who do I send my mortgage application to? HR-Fax or e-mail information to Alvaro Espino, HR Manager at 312-768-6025 or alvaro.espino@hektoen.org
  • Who do I talk to about my merit increase? HR- HR Manager – Alvaro Espino at 312-768-6025
  • When should documentation (Salary increases & Performance evaluation forms, project number changes) for updates to employee files be submitted to be process on the next payroll? 

    Update to employee files must be submitted to Human Resources Dept. no later than 5 working days prior to pay day. Contact, HR Manager – Alvaro Espino at 312-768-6025.

  • Who do I talk to about:
    • EIN number?
    • verifing employment?
    • adding or dropping a dependent to my Health or Dental insurance?
    • life insurance or changing my beneficiaries on my form?
    • signing up for the Group Supplemental or Pension?
    • Exit Interview?
    • policies & procedures?
    • filing a grievance?
    • hiring?
    • posting a job?
    • New Employee Orientation?
    • employee relations issues?
    • performance evaluation?
    • salary adjustment or a promotion?
    • union representatives for Hektoen?
    • background check?HR Manager – Alvaro Espino, 312-768-6025
  • Who do I call to expedite a Salary Review Form? HR—Alvaro Espino, HR Manager at 312-768-6025
  • Who do I call about
    • renewing my I.D.?
    • requesting a FMLA or regular leave?HR—HR Assistant – Martha Gibson at 312-768-6002
  • How often do I have to complete a performance evaluation on my staff?Once a year, usually on their anniversary. If you have questions, call HR Manager Alvaro Espino, 312-768-6003
  • Who do I call if I witness something unethical?Hektoen Code of Conduct Compliance hotline, 312-768-6060
  • Who do I call when I have an accident or injury on the job?First, discuss the accident with your manager. Seek medical attention by going to UIC Medical Clinic or any emergency hospital room. Then call HR, Martha Gibson, 312-768-6002 or Alvaro Espino at 312-768-6025 to file an injury report within 24 hours of the incident.



  • Who do I talk to about sick and vacation balances?Payroll – Pam Thurman at 312-768-6026
  • When do I submit a time sheet for my new staff?Time sheets are due twice a month, on the 1st and 16th of the month. Contact, Payroll – Pam Thurman 312-768-6026 or Lisa Sanchez at 312-768-6027.
  • Who do I talk to about
    • payroll check?
    • reset my ADPezLaborManager password?
    • questions about my payroll deduction?
    • requesting a copy of my W-2 from?
    • Payroll/Time sheets/Time & Attendance? Payroll— Pam Thurman at 312-768-6026 or Lisa Sanchez at 312-768-6027.