Website Hektoen Institute LLC
This dedicated Community Health Worker/ Early intervention Specialist (CHW/EIS)/PrEP Navigator is a member of a multidisciplinary coordination team. The CHW will provide enhanced care coordination services to persons living with/ affected by HIV/AIDS. The CHW/EIS will work closely with the SSHARC Providers, South Region PrEP Coordinator and Site Team Leader to ensure proper continuation and expansion of PrEP patient navigation and adherence counseling program at SSHARC Cook County Health Clinics. The CHW/EIS will promote the use of ARV’s for HIV treatment and PrEP in the South Suburbs of Chicago. The CHW/EIS will conduct HIV Testing, outreach, recruitment and linkage to care service. Once HIV status is identified, the CHW/EIS will facilitate enrollment services to biomedical prevention services (e.g., PrEP, PEP) if negative or Outpatient/Ambulatory Health Services for confirmed positives. CHW/EIS assist with client eligibility verification and assistance with enrolling into Medical Case Management. Clients may be engaged or referred from HIV testing, varying points of entry or other human/social service providers. CHW/EIS will conduct health education/literacy training to newly diagnosed and returned to care clients during medical appointments and outside of clinic. Appropriate specialty care referrals will also be made on the behalf of the clients, externally and internally. The CHW/EIS will conduct retention/case finding activities under the supervision of the Site Team Leader to locate newly diagnosed and on the margin of HIV care clients. The CHW/EIS will initiate community outreach in the South Suburbs identify new testing sites, points of entry, and linkages with other community-based organizations. The CHW/EIS will also work with a team of peer educators and RIG 8 & Outreach staff who will assist with community outreach, re-engagement, HIV testing and health education.
- Conducts outreach, recruitment, HIV Testing, pre/posttest counseling, and risk reduction counseling on at risk populations.
- Participates in HIV testing onsite/offsite at local partner sites to identify Part A/RIG 8 testing opportunities
- Conducts linkage to care, health education/literacy assessment, referrals and enrollment and eligibility verification activities on newly diagnosed persons and or on the margin clients.
- Identifies PrEP eligible clients and links them to appropriate services, inclusive of social media outreach
- Identification of “On the Margin” and patients who need partner services. Completes confidential case report forms.
- Facilitation of non-medical case management referrals and documentation
- Assist Data/Quality Manager and Integrated Care Coordinator with applicable quality and referral projects.
- Under the direction of the South Region PrEP coordinator, assist in the implementation of PrEP services and appointment scheduling in primary care for PrEP, while also ensuring that uninsured and under-insured PrEP clients receive education about coverage programs.
- Meet with patient’s weekly time to assist them in filling out PrEP medication coverage applications.
- Provide individual- and relationship-based HIV and STI counseling. Document services rendered primarily within SSHARC’S/CCH Electronic Medical Records System (EMR).
- Provide education about Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), and other effective biomedical and prevention interventions; refer eligible, interested clients to primary care medical services at CCH sites to further discuss PEP and other preventive care with an SSHARC medical provider.
- Participate in weekly case conferences and planning with care coordination team in person or by phone. Participates in assigned Domain meetings
- Develops a service plan of action for meeting client’s assessed needs, documents health education sessions, and completes accurate charts and electronic medical records in preparation for Ryan White CDPH Audits.
- Coordinate linkage agreements and service delivery with external community-based organizations.
- Make referral and linkages to HIV medical care, assist client with gathering necessary.
- Eligibility documentation for Ryan White services (including but not limited to Identification and/or birth record documents, residency documentation and income Verification).
- Enters client encounters and services delivered into the CAREWare System and electronic medical record as prescribed under this enhanced care coordination model.
- Under the supervision of the Site Team Leader, conducts retention and appointment reminders.
- Makes appropriate referrals to RIG 8 Prevention targeted testing program. Assist with HIV navigation Services under RIG 8 grant.
- Work some nights and weekends at Outreach/Testing events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Qualifications:
High School Diploma is required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred. One year experience in HIV, social services or other related health services is required
Candidate must possess:
Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to assist clients with diverse psychosocial needs. Motivation and self-direction; ability to prioritize competing responsibilities. Skills related to leadership, motivation, group dynamics, and client retention. Computer competency, including the ability to enter and access data relevant to program, required. Ability to work as a member of a care coordination team as well as autonomously in meeting client. Ability to work with other community-based human services organizations. Sensitivity to populations at increased risk for HIV transmission (through injectable drug use, men who have sex with men, exposure to an intravenous drug user, high-risk sexual activities such as commercial sex, street, and homelessness) Sensitivity to ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, values, beliefs, and behaviors. Flexibility with client’s priorities, evolving needs, and goals. Ability to enter and track data through internal data system (CareWare/PROVIDE/Electronic Medical Records). Ability to meet deadlines. Ability to work nights and weekends as needed. Possession of valid state Driver’s License with appropriate auto insurance and proof of access to a vehicle is required for this position.