Website Hektoen Institute LLC
Under the direction of the CORE Center Screening Clinic Manager and Manager of Patient Centered Care, the Health Educator/CHW will assess individual and group health education needs in the Screening Clinic and in community venues/events to reach the targeted population maintains up to date knowledge of HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s) related to its etiology, transmission and treatment. Additional topics include PrEP, risk reduction, diet, diabetes, hypertension, hepatitis and Partner Services (PS). The Health Educator will: perform pre and post HIV/STI testing and counseling; develop and implement group and client-level health education sessions as related to HIV and STI prevention and risk reduction; provide linkage to care for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), PrEP education, medication management, adherence and treatment. The Health Educator/CHW participates in all administrative, CCHIP Domains and staff development meetings, representing health education and prevention issues, activities, goals and outcomes. Flexibility working evenings and/or weekend hours as needed.
- Performs patient centered behavior risk assessments and develops reduction plans and health education goals
- Assesses personalized pre and post HIV counseling and testing with adults, adolescents and children, including special populations within the Screening Clinic at the CORE Center and in the community venues/events to reach the targeted population
- Provide patients HIV/STI results and maintain records of patients who need treatment and offer risk reduction strategies
- Disseminate HIV/STI education on prevention, transmission, adherence, treatment and other diseases including hepatitis, dietary needs, risk reduction, diabetes, hypertension and other health related topics.
- Provides group level health education to patient, provider and community as needed
- Initiates high-risk HIV negative clients who visit the CORE Center Screening Clinic for PrEP services and links newly diagnosed HIV positive clients to HIV medical care
- Submits monthly reports of Health Education activities to Screening Clinic Manager
- 8. Collects and enters counseling and testing activities into program databases and medical records
- Participate in all CORE Center and department mandatory trainings and meetings
Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field, public health, education, psychology, social science OR a minimum of two-three years of HIV counseling/testing required. Bilingual skills (Spanish – English) is desired. Partner Services training complete is a plus. Ability to work with a diverse population within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team. Experience with Microsoft programs and medical records preferred. Strong oral and written communications skills. Ability to meet deadlines and work as a team player. Candidates experienced in administering HIV/STI testing, counseling and providing PrEP services are strongly desired. Flexibility to work evening and/or weekend hours.