Website Hektoen Institute LLC
JOB SUMMARY: Provides and oversees specimen collection, identification, tracking, packaging, and transport for programs within Cermak Health Services (CHS). Obtains and/or assists in the procurement of laboratory specimens as designated by CHS protocol or manual of operations; this may include blood or urine samples.
- Venipuncture: obtains blood specimens from patients presenting to CHS. Inserts intravenous lines, or butterfly catheters as needed.
- Collects blood specimen for hepatitis panel, HIV and syphilis.
- Obtains urine collection for GC and Chlamydia.
- Processes blood tubes and urine samples to ensure accurate test results (examples mixes anticoagulant, proper ratio of preservative to blood volume, centrifuge to separate serum, refrigerate samples as appropriate, and transport on ice if required).
- Labels specimens as designated by CHS protocol.
- Completes appropriate specimen requisitions.
- Completes associated forms and documentation.
- Accepts responsibility for complete and accurate sample collection and documentation.
- Maintains a daily log or files tracking sheets of detainees receiving phlebotomy services in consultation with lab technicians.
Specimen handling and transport
- Follows institutional bio safety guidelines and federal guidelines for specimens crossing state lines.
- Ensures that procedures for Biohazardous waste disposal are followed and report’s deficiencies to designated staff housekeeping.
- Packages specimens for transport and or shipping in accordance with guidelines.
- Transport specimens to appropriate laboratory in a timely matter as needed.
- Maintains liaison with collaborative laboratories and notifies them as necessary.
Other related duties
- Conducts inventory, monitors, orders, and restocks specific phlebotomy and clinical supplies for required specimens on a weekly basis and communicates with service staff to assess need.
- Orders supplies as needed per CHS protocol on a weekly basis.
- Maintains cleanliness of phlebotomy work area and proper functioning of equipment located in specimen processing room reports deficiencies to lab technician.
- Records temperature of designated refrigerators in the lab area.
- Performs urine testing as needed.
High School and phlebotomy certification required. HIV/HCV related experience preferred. Knowledge of laboratory quality control and quality assurance measures. Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to organize work efficiently. Computer skills. Ability to interact with a variety of patients with culturally diverse backgrounds.