Website Hektoen Institute LLC
Under the direction of the CCHIP Bilingual-West Regional PrEP Coordinator the Regional Community PrEP Navigator (RCPN) will provide PrEP navigation/referral services to CCHIP sites and expand to other CCH ACHN clinics and external community partnership sites with high prevalence of STIs and HIV. The PrEP Navigator will assess individual and group health education needs in clinics and community settings, performing pre and post-test STI/HIV counseling, prevention and risk reduction including PrEP and condom demonstrations and other related HIV issues. Identifies patients in clinic and community who are vulnerable to HIV and assesses for PrEP, provides PrEP Navigation, refers eligible PrEP candidates to CCH/CCHIP PrEP clinic for services and benefits. Assess individuals’ needs related to their social determinants of health and refers to appropriate CCHIP services during initial PrEP care visits. Evaluates client health education sessions as related to PrEP adherence, HIV prevention and risk reduction. Provides client-centered health education, health education in related topics (i.e. PrEP, STIs, hepatitis C, medication adherence, etc.); and participates in all administrative/domain meetings and professional development trainings.
Responsibility: Provide PrEP awareness, community outreach/education and recruitment regarding CCHIP’s PrEP services and related topics.
- Collaborates with CCHIP Regional PrEP Coordinators with scheduled community events providing HIV testing, PrEP education, assessments, and referrals to different CCHIP sites or any other CCH site that provides PrEP Services
- Initiates immediate contact with patients/participants who are interested in PrEP to establish rapport and assist with linkage to ongoing PrEP services; completes required assessment, MAP applications, and/or intake information for follow-ups and enters data in required database(s).
- HIV testing, counseling, & education, offering risk reduction strategies including PrEP and provide appropriate referrals. Coordinate with EIS CHW staff to identify PrEP eligibility through POC testing
- Provides HIV prevention counseling training, including but not limited to HIV counseling training, PrEP education and early intervention to health care providers and other professionals.
- Participates as an active member of the PrEP team to develop and implement community education & accessibility to CCHIP PrEP services to the most HIV vulnerable communities.
- Coordinate community forums with local stakeholders & Ball Room community regarding PrEP awareness & education
- Identify popular opinion leaders from the targeted population
Responsibility: Provides HIV testing, PrEP education, assessment, and referrals to CCHIP Clinic and throughout the Cook County Health facilities. Perform pre- and post-HIV counseling, particularly, to targeted high-risk populations
- Provides pre-test counseling and prevention education at various locations within CCH/CCHIP sites and community events.
- Performs rapid HIV testing and refer and/or link HIV positive patients to desired CCHIP site for HIV medical care and other prevention services as needed and schedule future appointments, as necessary.
- Assesses participants/patients for PrEP Services following CDC guidelines
- Collects and enter data on HIV testing, PrEP high risk assessments and PrEP enrollments for PrEP eligible.
- Ensures PrEP eligible participants’ follow-up contacts (phone calls, emails, texts), for linkage, appointments, and referrals to PrEP services to the CCHIP/CCH sites
- Manage PrEP referrals from Cerner Scheduling Queue.
- Provides test results, post-test counseling and assesses client risk behaviors.
- Enters HIV counseling and testing, PrEP assessment, initiation, and related activities into Cerner, CDPH excel spreadsheet or other required databases daily.
- Generates monthly report of all activities related to HIV testing, Outreach, PrEP assessments and referrals
Responsibility: Quality Improvement & Charting in electronic medical record, CareWare, PROVIDE
- Documentation of all face to face, phone calls, and other encounters related to HIV testing and PrEP Services in the EMR (Electronic Medical Record) and other databases required by funders
- Documentation of all client-related activities, referrals, including approvals and denials should be entered in EMR and other required databases.
- Documents all data entry and paperwork will be submitted in compliance with organization’s policies.
- Documents all transportation, food vouchers, transportation, and cab vouchers must be properly documented including client’s signature of receipt.
- Participate in quality improvement activities
Responsibility: Provides client-centered HIV risk reduction counseling and education on PrEP adherence to clients interested in enrolling into the PrEP program and ongoing support for established clients receiving PrEP services at a CCHIP/CCH site.
- Provides client-centered health education, offering risk reduction strategies and appropriate referrals.
- Accompanies patients through their PrEP initiation visit to orient them to the available services and how to access them.
- Develops client level risk reductions plans and health education/PrEP adherence goals.
- Refers patients to the benefits Department for Insurance (CountyCare and/or CareLink)
- Completes Medication Assistance Program (MAP) form for new patients and follows up on patients with documentation needed to complete application. Once documentation is completed submits package for approval.
- Follows up with submitted application and contacts patient with proof of approval to ensure successful PrEP initiation.
- Refers PrEP participants to other disciplines as needed (Mental Health, Substance use, Social Services, benefits, etc).
- Collects and enters data in Cerner and program databases in a timely matter.
- Submits monthly reports to the West Regional PrEP Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Arranges for transportation to medical and other supportive service appointments for PrEP enrolled participants
- Provides follow-up assistance for patients’ medical and supportive services visits.
- Attends and contributes to all PrEP domain meetings.
- Provides group-level health education trainings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Responsibility: Assists with development of peer educators
- Assist with training and mentoring members of the CCHIP peer program and other high-risk persons/volunteers to become PrEP peer educators and navigators.
Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, a bachelor’s degree in a health-related field preferred. One to three years of experience as an HIV and PrEP related counselor or educator required. Bilingual desirable (Spanish-English). Experience with multiple HIV rapid test technologies. Ability to work with a cultural, racially, and ethnically diverse population. Valid Driver’s license and car insurance. Available to work evenings and weekends as needed. Strong oral and written communications skills. Strong computer skills. Ability to meet deadlines. Ability to effectively work autonomously and within a multidisciplinary team. Ability to adhere to universal precautions and social distancing policies related to the COVID 19 pandemic.